$1 million jackpot winner dies from a drug overdose
Ecorse Police have found the body of Amanda Clayton at her home. Clayton made headlines after she continued receiving welfare benefits despite winning a lottery prize worth $1 million. Police investigators assume that she died from a drug overdose.
Welfare despite $1M jackpot
The 25-year-old woman was crowned winner of the Michigan Lottery's television show 'Make me Rich!'. Clayton won $1 million ($735,000 after taxes), but didn't inform the Department of Human Services about the cash prize. Therefore, she continued to receive welfare, but the fraud was discovered. Clayton's welfare fraud resulted in a new law that obliges the state lottery to notify the Department of Human Services about winning citizens.
Clayton's death results in two motherless children. One of them was at his dad's home at the time of the tragic incident, while the other one was at Clayton's home. A friend decided to take a look at the house after he heard the young girl crying. He discovered the lifeless body lying on the living room floor.